Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas in Washington, DC!




Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love the chilly weather, cookies, Christmas carols, shopping, festive lights, Advent wreaths, and the most important reminder of Christ's birth in beautiful nativity scenes. December is a fun month! One of my favorite things to do is drive through neighborhoods and look at Christmas lights, or walk around the zoo and look at the annual Zoo Lights extravaganza. It's an odd feeling this year not having family and friends to go with me - let's face it Christmas is the best time to be around family and friends - but I'm not about to let a season pass by without checking out the lights in DC.

So, I went to the National Mall (totally different meaning to the word "mall" in DC!) and saw the White House, the national tree, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and some beautiful lights around town. Honestly, the tree looks bigger on tv and my tree at home is 100 times prettier than it....waaaaaaay too many lights and it looks like a big cone - real Christmas trees have character to them and this national tree is just plain ugly! But, I saw it in person and I saw the White House...pretty, but I was hoping for some wreaths or something a little more. And as for the other monuments/memorials, well, not a lick of Christmas on them. Not even a flashing red Rudolph nose on Lincoln! Little disappointing.

At least I have a beautifully decorated apartment to go home to every night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment