Sunday, November 8, 2009

You know you're in Chinatown when...

...you see a sign for an Irish pub that is translated into Chinese! Another "adventure" that came with me (once again) being lost in DC.

I woke up early this morning to allow plenty of time to find this new church I was suppose to meet a couple of friends at for mass - St. Aloysius. The church is suppose to have a vibrant social justice ministry and I thought it would be cool to check out a new church since I had people to go with. Anyways, I set out this morning at 9am (mass is at 9:30am) with a "straightforward" map from Google in hand that states I should arrive in 11 minutes. Again, plenty of time for possible wrong turns. Exactly 1 hour and 40 minutes after leaving my house, I am sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial trying to figure out how exactly I managed to go from Georgetown, to Chinatown, to circling the Capitol building 2 times (yes, hitting NE, NW, SE, and SW quadrants all in a matter of minutes), to then finding myself in Virginia at the airport, at which point I realized that I had definitely missed ALL of mass, so I found my way back to DC, passed the Washington Monument and the WWII Memorial, and finally settled on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where I sat overlooking the Reflecting Pool and contemplated my horrendous sense of direction. *sigh*

Oh, and I now have to find an evening mass to attend....

No comments:

Post a Comment