Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Best Soup EVER!!!

Paging through the myriad of cookbooks currently occupying my bookshelf, I decided this would be a good week to try some new recipes and fix a "real" dinner instead of my usual yogurt and fruit, which is what I have most nights when work runs more than 9 hours because quite frankly it's no fun cooking for one person. So, tonight was suppose to be grilled ham with pineapple/cranberry chutney, green beans (*gasp!*), and mashed potatoes. However, after not getting home from work until 8pm, I decided to forgo the ham and be creative - totally worked in my favor this time!! Pretty much tooting my own horn because the soup I created tonight is out of this world...thanks in part to my secret weapon in the spice cabinet - Tajin! Gracias Mother Maria!

Here's the recipe for what I like to call:

"Colleen's Super Spectacular Bowl of Guatemalan Goodness Featuring Tajin"
Serves 3....or 4 if you're stingy and on a diet

1 can seasoned black beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1/2 a jar of salsa
3/4 a can of chicken broth
1 lime
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
a small handful of fresh cut green onions
1 tablespoon or 4 shakes of Tajin (whatever looks good to you)
tortilla chips

1. Drain the beans and corn.
2. Combine beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, lime juice, 1/2 a cup of cheese, green onions, and Tajin in a saucepan on the stove. Cook until hot.
3. Dish soup into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Crush tortilla chips and sprinkle over cheese.
5. Shake a little more Tajin in each bowl.

ENJOY!!


No comments:

Post a Comment